Only a single lawyer in each practice area and designated metropolitan area is honored as the "Lawyer of the Year," making this accolade particularly significant. These lawyers are selected based on particularly impressive voting averages received during the peer review assessments.
Receiving this designation reflects the high level of respect a lawyer has earned among other leading lawyers in the same communities and the same practice areas for their abilities, their professionalism, and their integrity.
In addition to the "Lawyer of the Year" award, Kevin J. Conway was also listed in the 2018 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America in the following practice areas:
- Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs
Since it was first published in 1983, Best Lawyers has become universally regarded as the definitive guide to legal excellence.
- 5 Cooney & Conway Attorneys Named to 2018 Best Lawyers® List
- Kevin J. Conway Presented Leonard M. Ring Lifetime Achievement Award
- Cooney & Conway Named One of the "2017 Best Law Firms"
About Cooney & Conway
Nationally ranked at the highest levels of professional excellence, the attorneys of Chicago‑based Cooney & Conway have been providing exceptional legal services to injured people and their families for more than 50 years. In addition to its acclaimed asbestos litigation practice, the law firm also handles complex personal injury matters including, medical malpractice, products liability, premises liability, transportation accidents, construction accidents, and professional negligence. Fighting for those who have suffered catastrophic injuries or wrongful death, Cooney & Conway is known for aggressive, yet compassionate representation and for committed, responsive relationships with its clients. Understanding the devastation to clients brought by injury, illness, and death, the firm’s primary focus is ensuring that matters are resolved justly and expeditiously, so that future financial burdens can be relieved.
The attorneys of Cooney & Conway have mastered the complexities of mesothelioma and personal injury litigation, consistently and successfully helping thousands of injured clients and their families obtain fair compensation for injuries resulting from the negligence of others, including:
- $5.2 billion settlement agreement with the Owens Corning Asbestos Case
- $3.95 billion settlement agreement with USG Asbestos Personal Injury Trust
- $1.43 billion settlement agreement with the Combustion Engineering/ABB Asbestos Personal Injury Trust
- $1.2 billion settlement agreement with the Kaiser Aluminum Personal Injury Trust
- $35 million-dollar verdict against a major oil company in an asbestos death case
- $19.9 million-dollar verdict in a trucking accident death case
- $12.3 million verdict against an insulator who died of mesothelioma, whose case was tried to jury verdict in the Circuit Court of Cook County by Cooney and Conway attorneys John Cooney, William Fahey, and Jim Hopkinson. The verdict of compensatory damages of $12.3 million was reported as the largest single mesothelioma verdict nationwide
- $4.5 million settlement agreement in a wrongful death case resulting from drowning in a barge collision
The continued success of Cooney & Conway is a testament to its expertise, diligence, and dedication to its clients. This expertise and diligence has also earned Cooney & Conway the respect of judges, colleagues, and adversaries, alike. Serving the community with the highest standards of professionalism and ethics is what sets Cooney & Conway apart from other personal injury firms, and why it remains one of the most distinguished law firms in the nation.