A recent study noted that people age 85 or older are the fastest-growing population segment among the elderly and thus are also at the highest risk of slip-and-fall accidents with injury. An examination of medical records has found the cost of these accidents is an estimated $50 billion a year.
The researchers of the study published in the Journal of American Geriatric Society found that most of the costs were associated with the aftermath of nonfatal falls. The study looked at information collected from three sources:
- Medicare Current Beneficiary Survey (MCBS), a representative sample of Medicare recipients
- Web-based Inquiry Statistics Query and Reporting System (WISQARS)
- National Health Expenditure Accounts (NHEA)
“The economic burden from falls is likely to increase substantially in the coming years,” study authors wrote, adding that “75 percent of the cost of older adult falls is financed through public health insurance programs that are already financially stressed.”
Contributing Factors to Slip-and-Fall Accidents by Elderly
There are many factors which can contribute to an older person getting injured in a slip-and-fall accident. Among those that increase the chances that someone of advanced age will be hurt by a fall include:
- Poor and/or deteriorating vision
- Side effects to medication and prescription changes
- Additional medical conditions which impair balance
The simplest way to avoid slip-and-fall injuries is to stay aware of your surroundings and watch where you are walking. Some additional tips that can lessen the chances of being injured in a fall include:
- Keep active
- Improve and maintain your balance, flexibility, and endurance
- Have regular vision screening
- Ensure that your living area is safe and secure
- Monitor and adjust medications carefully
- Wear comfortable and sturdy shoes
Personal Injury Attorneys Specializing in Slip-and-Fall Accident Cases
If you or a loved one has been injured in a slip-and-fall accident caused by the negligence of others, you may be able to recover losses from an owner or manager of the property. The highly respected Chicago personal injury attorneys at Cooney & Conway assist individuals injured in trip and fall accidents to obtain the legal compensation to which they may be entitled .
Call toll free at 800-322-5573, or simply fill out the case evaluation form located on this page and we will promptly respond to your inquiry.