Lawyers can have many types of specializations, and one such specialization is mesothelioma. Mesothelioma law firms and lawyers focus on lawsuits involving victims of asbestos exposure that resulted in a mesothelioma diagnosis. It's especially important for mesothelioma victims to get financial compensation from the organizations that knowingly exposed them to asbestos in order to cover the ongoing medical costs that they will have for the remainder of their life.
If you are a victim of mesothelioma, you're likely aware of this by now, as your doctor should have informed you of what life will be like going forward. Having lawyers from a mesothelioma law firm in your corner is the key to getting the maximum financial compensation possible for your situation to ensure that financial stress is not also something you need to be concerned about going forward.
What You Can Expect When Working with a Mesothelioma Law Firm
Mesothelioma law firms are experts in all things relating to asbestos exposure and the resulting asbestos-related diseases. The ones that stand out from the rest have:
- Years of experience in the field
- Databases of local asbestos-contaminated sites and local companies that have knowingly exposed people to asbestos
- Teams of investigators that can track down the cause of your exposure, find the companies that are responsible, and compile the proof needed for a strong case
- Knowledge of all options on the table, including asbestos trust funds and VA benefits
- The ability to make you feel comfortable and taken care of
- Free case evaluations and won't charge you for your case until they win it for you (also known as a contingency fee basis)
This experienced legal team will take you through the process of filing your mesothelioma lawsuit by going through the following steps:
- Identifying the companies and manufacturers who are at fault: Compiling information on the asbestos-containing products that you used and which companies made them (which can be complicated since asbestos victims don't know they've been exposed until their diagnosis 10-50 years later).
- Filing your mesothelioma claim: More than one company may be at fault for your asbestos exposure, which can increase the value of your claim. Your lawyer will determine all specifics of your case and then file the claim on your behalf once they're confident they have a strong case built. They will file either a personal injury lawsuit, wrongful death lawsuit, asbestos trust fund claim, or VA benefit.
- Reach a settlement on your behalf: The goal of your law firm will be to settle your case as quickly as possible for the highest amount of financial compensation possible. Many times this is done through a settlement. On average, settlements award between $1-1.4 Million in total compensation, and victims receive payouts in under a year. This can vary depending on a lot of factors relating to the case.
Mesothelioma settlement compensation is usually awarded to cover:
- Lost wages
- Medical treatment
- Travel expenses to and from treatment
- Funeral expenses (in a wrongful death lawsuit)
- And a variety of other expenses that may have resulted from your diagnosis
Mesothelioma settlements are more common than mesothelioma trials because trials are very expensive and most companies want to avoid them. Trial verdicts can result in higher awards for victims in many cases, but less than 5% of cases typically go to trial, and not all of the ones that do result in a favorable verdict for the mesothelioma victim. Trials are a lot more of a gamble, whereas settlements are not.
Chicago Mesothelioma Attorneys
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with mesothelioma, a knowledgeable mesothelioma lawyer at Cooney & Conway can help you pursue legal action and walk alongside you through the legal process.
Our team of mesothelioma lawyers can:
- Build a case against the companies and manufacturers who put you at risk of asbestos exposure
- Identify your legal options for compensation to help cover the costs of your healthcare and provide for you and your family
- Provide you with peace of mind as they walk you through every step of the process and are your biggest advocates
You and others do not deserve to suffer for the choices that many industries knowingly made when they allowed asbestos to be widely used. Asbestos product manufacturers knew the risks of asbestos, covered them up, and continued to sell their products until they were caught. Our experienced mesothelioma law firm can help bring justice to those at fault and get you compensation for what you've endured.
Are you ready to start the process with our mesothelioma law firm in Chicago? We have a large team that is ready to get to work on your behalf and who will walk alongside you every step of the way!