A former forklift driver at the Sterigenics facility in Willowbrook is claiming that he observed leaks of the cancer-causing chemical ethylene oxide and was asked to hose down the residue from the leaks after equipment was treated with the carcinogenic gas.
“They just figured we would just go along with orders,” Mike Morales told CBS2.
Morales claims that he was told to move outside of the plant a drum of ethylene oxide that had sprung a leak.
“It’d have a leak, and we’d take this Teflon tape to kinda, like, stop that leakage,” he said. “There’s an outside area right behind three chambers. It’s just hidden from the public.”
COMPLETE STORY: https://cbsloc.al/2Sxs5xY
What is Ethylene Oxide?
On the federal government’s list of carcinogens since 1985, ethylene oxide is a highly reactive chemical effective for use as a sterilant for wide range of industrial applications. According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), chronic exposure to ethylene oxide has been associated with the occurrence of many diseases and conditions, including:
- Birth defects
- Hodgkin’s Disease
- Stomach, breast and pancreatic cancer
Filing an Ethylene Oxide Lawsuit
Residents of Willowbrook or the immediate surrounding communities suffering with health issues related to ethylene oxide exposure from the Willowbrook Sterigenics’ facility may be entitled to recover damages for current and future medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
If you or a loved one have been impacted, call the respected personal injury law offices of Cooney & Conway toll free at 800-322-5573 for a free case evaluation with an experienced legal professional. You can also CLICK HERE or fill out the contact information form located on this page to have all your questions answered.
- Highest Levels of Carcinogens Detected Since Testing Began Near Sterigenics
- State Orders Shutdown of Sterigenics Plant in Willowbrook Amid Ethylene Oxide Fears
- Read the Illinois EPA Seal Order
- Alarmed by cancer-causing ethylene oxide pollution, Gov. J.B. Pritzker orders shutdown of Sterigenics in Willowbrook
- Senators Call for Investigation into Sterigenics, Community Urges Company Shut Down
- Sterigenics Emitting Cancer-Causing Gas in Willowbrook, EPA Confirms
- Willowbrook Residents Fear Cancer Risks from Local Facility