A community group from Willowbrook, Illinois, boarded buses and headed to Springfield to take their fight against the Sterigenics facility to state legislators. The medical equipment sterilization company has been temporarily shut down after air monitors detected high levels of the cancer-causing chemical ethylene oxide.
The Illinois EPA ordered the facility that sterilizes medical instruments to shut down operations and the company’s efforts to lift the ban have been denied. The “Stop Sterigenics” group is hoping to convince lawmakers to make the temporary ban permanent.
READ MORE: https://bit.ly/2WMo8Ig
The Dangers of Ethylene Oxide
Ethylene oxide has been on the EPA’s list of carcinogens since 1985. The dangerous substance is a highly reactive chemical that is effective for use to sterilize a wide range of industrial applications. According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), chronic exposure to ethylene oxide has been associated with the occurrence of many diseases and conditions, including:
- Birth defects
- Hodgkin’s Disease
- Stomach, breast and pancreatic cancer
Filing an Ethylene Oxide Lawsuit
Residents of Willowbrook or the immediate surrounding communities suffering with health issues related to ethylene oxide exposure from the Willowbrook Sterigenics’ facility may be entitled to recover damages for current and future medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
If you or a loved one have been impacted, call the respected personal injury law offices of Cooney & Conway toll free at 800-322-5573 for a free case evaluation with an experienced legal professional. You can also CLICK HERE or fill out the contact information form located on this page to have all your questions answered.
- Former Worker: Ethylene Oxide Leaked at Sterigenics ‘a Lot of Times’
- Highest Levels of Carcinogens Detected Since Testing Began Near Sterigenics
- State Orders Shutdown of Sterigenics Plant in Willowbrook Amid Ethylene Oxide Fears
- Read the Illinois EPA Seal Order
- Alarmed by cancer-causing ethylene oxide pollution, Gov. J.B. Pritzker orders shutdown of Sterigenics in Willowbrook
- Senators Call for Investigation into Sterigenics, Community Urges Company Shut Down
- Sterigenics Emitting Cancer-Causing Gas in Willowbrook, EPA Confirms
- Willowbrook Residents Fear Cancer Risks from Local Facility