Efforts to protect the public from emissions of the toxic chemical ethylene oxide from plants like Sterigenics in suburban Willowbrook made a significant step forward. A bill that sets standards for the monitoring and enforcement of emissions throughout Illinois was recently passed by the Illinois State Senate.
State Sen. John Curran (R) of Downers Grove sponsored and field Senate Bill 1854 which acts as an amendment to the Illinois Environmental Protection Act. Facilities would be subjected to mandatory random inspections and testing, and random ambient air testing at least four times annually. The bills are heading to the Illinois House of Representatives next.
Sterigenics was temporarily shut down by the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency after record-levels of ethylene oxide were detected near the Willowbrook plant. The chemical is used in the process of sterilizing medical devices and other equipment.
COMPLETE STORY: https://bit.ly/2IfiDOZ
Dangers of Ethylene Oxide
Exposure to ethylene oxide can cause a wide range of potentially serious or deadly diseases. Since 1985, the volatile substance has been on the federal list of human carcinogens. Among the dangers of ethylene oxide exposure that the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has reported include:
- Birth defects
- Forms of cancer, including pancreatic and stomach
- Hodgkin’s Disease
Contact Cooney & Conway for Free Consultation
For complete information and to schedule a free case evaluation by the experienced personal injury lawyers at Cooney & Conway, call toll free at 800-322-5573 today to discuss your case with a knowledgeable representative. You can also fill out the free consultation contact information form and a qualified associate will promptly respond to your inquiry.
- Sterigenics Shutdown Prompts Action on Possible Device Shortages
- Former Worker: Ethylene Oxide Leaked at Sterigenics ‘a Lot of Times’
- Highest Levels of Carcinogens Detected Since Testing Began Near Sterigenics
- State Orders Shutdown of Sterigenics Plant in Willowbrook Amid Ethylene Oxide Fears
- Read the Illinois EPA Seal Order
- Alarmed by cancer-causing ethylene oxide pollution, Gov. J.B. Pritzker orders shutdown of Sterigenics in Willowbrook
- Senators Call for Investigation into Sterigenics, Community Urges Company Shut Down
- Sterigenics Emitting Cancer-Causing Gas in Willowbrook, EPA Confirms
- Willowbrook Residents Fear Cancer Risks from Local Facility