Nursing Home Negligence
The families of those residing in an assisted living facility or nursing home expect their loved ones to be treated with the care, respect, and dignity they deserve. Elderly Americans can be put into a vulnerable position when residing in a nursing home and often fall victim to neglect and abuse by the staff that is supposed to be taking care of them.
Neglect and physical harm inflicted on elderly residents in assisted living and nursing home facilities in the United States is an increasing problem, and despite local and federal regulations, senior citizens are being neglected, abused, and injured every year.
Signs of neglect and abuse can be hidden and disguised by those responsible, especially in situations where the resident has trouble communicating or feels intimidated by a worker at the nursing home. It is crucial for the families and loved ones of nursing home residents to be vigilant in looking for signs of abuse or neglect. Some indications that a resident of a nursing home is being harmed include:
- Dehydration and/or malnutrition
- Development of bedsores
- Environmental hazards such as slippery floors or unsafe furniture
- Falls, particularly on multiple occasions
- Lack of typical interaction with nursing home staff and other residents
- Overuse of medication or sedatives
- A noticeable change in appearance or hygiene
- Rapid or extreme weight loss
- Sudden agitation or emotional withdrawal
- Unexplained bruises and other injuries
- Unusual or prolonged depression
Monitoring and reporting inconsistencies or incidences of nursing home abuse or neglect can be a life or death situation for elderly residents.
A qualified lawyer is needed in a wide range of scenarios involving the mistreatment of patients and residents to protect victims and prevent future incidents. An experienced and compassionate nursing home abuse lawyer at Cooney & Conway, LLP. can protect the rights of those who have suffered from abuse or neglect, and work to ensure your loved one continues to live in peace and dignity in a safe environment. Contact Cooney & Conway, LLP. toll free at 800-322-5573 or fill out the Free Case Evaluation at the bottom of this page.