The number of deaths resulting from motor vehicle accidents continued to rise both nationally and locally, according information released by the National Safety Council (NSC) and the city of Chicago.
The assessment by the NSC shows a 6 percent overall increase in the number of traffic deaths in 2017 from 2015, marking the second straight year that motor vehicle deaths topped 40,000 nationwide. Additionally, another 4.57 million people were injured seriously enough to require medical attention.
Chicago Traffic Deadlier for Motorists, Pedestrians, Cyclists
The number of traffic deaths in Chicago rose from 113 in 2016 to 133 in 2017, an increase of 18 percent. Overall, the state of Illinois has followed the national trend, with the number of deaths rising overall by 6 percent statewide from 2015 to 2017, the NCS said.
The distractions of modern technology has been a major contributor to the rise in motor vehicle accidents. Distracted driving claimed 3,477 lives in 2015 alone, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, with an estimated additional 391,000 injured in motor vehicle crashes involving distracted drivers.
In an effort to keep the roads safer, NSC urges motorists to observe the following guidelines:
- DEFENSIVE DRIVING: Buckle your seatbelt , drive attentively, and avoid being distracted while driving.
- INTOXICATED DRIVING: Recognize the extreme dangers of driving or riding in a car with a driver who is impaired by alcohol or drugs, including prescription medication. Arrange alternate transportation for yourself or others if intoxicated.
- TEEN DRIVING: Monitor your teen’s driving habits.
- VEHICLE SAFETY: Know your vehicle and become familiar with its safety systems.
- RECALLS: Attend to any manufacturing recalls to ensure your vehicle is operating at maximum safety.
Victims and Families May Deserve Compensation from Responsible Parties
If you have lost a loved one due to a motor vehicle accident caused by the negligence of others, you and your family may be entitled to compensation from the responsible parties. Contact a personal injury attorney at Cooney & Conway for a free consultation with a vehicle accident lawyer to discuss your case.
Call 800-322-5573 today or fill out the Free Case Evaluation contact information form located on this page and a knowledgeable representative will promptly respond to your inquiry.