Premises liability refers to accidents or injuries that occur on the property of someone else, usually due to hazardous conditions or negligent security. Injuries that fall in this category can be sustained in public or private places, including buildings, construction sites, and parking lots. Property owners are required to provide protection for those permitted on their land, and their failure to do so could constitute a valid personal injury claim on behalf of injured victims.
Unsafe property conditions can lead to very serious injuries or even death. Those who sustain injuries because of negligence or wrongful actions of property owners or operators may be entitled to compensation for medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost income, and other damages under the law.
In some premises liability cases, property owners may also be considered liable if a person enters their property without authorization which may occur if a property is left abandoned or inadequately maintained, and hazards are present that put small children or others at risk.
Premises liability cases can be among the most complex of all personal injury case types, so it is vital to have a highly-skilled, knowledgeable, and experienced premises liability lawyer on your side. The Chicago premises liability attorneys of Cooney & Conway are available to help with the legal needs of those who sustain serious injuries because of a property owner’s negligence. We have the resources to ensure a thorough investigation is made and to achieve the best possible outcome.
Slip and Fall Attorneys
Accidents, where someone is injured by slipping and falling to the ground, can happen just about anywhere and are the second leading cause for accidental deaths in the United States. Slip and fall accidents that result in injury or death can be caused by negligence like poor design or improper maintenance, or hazards and unsafe conditions created by the presence of slippery surfaces and substances like food spills, water leakage, ice accumulation, and more. Personal injury or wrongful death from a fall caused by a hazardous condition on another person’s property can entitle the victim or the victim’s family to compensation.
Common locations where slip and fall accidents frequently occur include:
- Entertainment Venues: Theaters, stadiums, and arenas are large venues with ramps, stairways, escalators, and elevators which present chances for patrons and employees to sustain injuries from falls. Clutter, poor lighting, and improper maintenance are factors that can lead to falls that cause injuries or wrongful death. Bleachers and other seating options that are not properly maintained can also cause falls that lead to serious personal injury.
- Parks and Playgrounds: You don’t have to be a child to be injured in a fall due to poorly maintained benches, playground equipment, holes in walkways, athletic fields, and other public areas. Equipment and tools left by maintenance workers can also present hazards if not properly handled or stored.
- Private Homes: Slip and fall accidents at a private home can result in prickly lawsuits, especially if the plaintiff and defendant are friends or relatives. It is important to understand that whatever compensation is received will come from the insurance company that represents the defendant, so friendship should not deter injured parties from pursuing necessary legal action.
- Residential Rental Homes and Apartments: If someone is injured in a slip and fall accident on the premises of an apartment complex, liability could rest with the landlord, a tenant, or both, depending on what circumstances caused the injuries.
- Retail Stores: Grocery stores, big box stores, shopping malls, restaurants, and other retail and service establishments have a legal responsibility to ensure spills are cleaned, aisles are not blocked, and warning signs are posted when cleanup work leaves wet and slippery floors.
- Retirement Homes: Seniors living in nursing homes and other residential assisted living environments are particularly vulnerable to serious injury in a slip-and-fall accident. Nursing homes are responsible for the safety of their residents, and part of that obligation is making sure the community is clean and free from physical obstacles that could cause falls and result in injuries.
- Work: Workplace slip and fall accidents are often covered by workers' compensation. In some cases, a personal injury lawyer may file a lawsuit against an employer.
If you or a loved one are injured or killed in a slip and fall accident due to the fault of someone else, it is crucial to assess your legal options after seeking proper medical treatment. An accident with serious injuries changes lives in ways victims and their families can never anticipate, and having the support of a compassionate, knowledgeable, experienced, and professional personal injury lawyer can make a major difference in the quality of life for victims and their loved ones.
Drowning Accident Attorneys
A significant number of drowning accidents and swimming pool injuries occur as a result of negligence on the part of those entrusted with safety and care. Pool owners and supervisors have a duty to care for those invited to swim on their property, and failure to provide a safe environment or remove known hazards may constitute liability in the event of an accident injury.
Drowning accidents occur from accidents on boats and other vessels that may capsize in lakes or in public or private swimming pools. Carelessness, a lack of experience with operating a watercraft or vessel, swimming inexperience, and a range of other issues may contribute to these types of accidents. When children are involved it is often due to a lack of supervision in the water, whether they are permitted to enter or not.
A drowning accident can occur in only minutes. Operators of businesses like hotels, resorts, schools, private homeowners, and places with pools accessible are typically required to take measures to provide security for people who are not authorized to use the pools without supervision. If you or a loved one has been injured due to the negligence of a swimming pool owner or operator, you may be eligible to file a personal injury or wrongful death claim.
The Chicago personal injury attorneys at Cooney & Conway are available to assist victims and their families with injuries sustained by a drowning accident. We provide no obligation, free consultations for victims of accidental injury and wrongful death who wish to take legal action to ensure those liable take responsibility for their actions.
Premises Liability Cases
Call the trusted attorneys at Cooney & Conway toll-free at 800-322-5573 or fill out the Free Case Evaluation form on the bottom of this page and a qualified representative will respond to your inquiry soon. We are happy to answer any questions or concerns you may have.